Improving yourself. Starting a new.
Are you unhappy with certain aspects in your life? Do you have anything in your life that you want to change? A bad habit perhaps, a bad diet or simply a negative perspective?We all have things or qualities that we want to change in ourselves. Choosing to change does not mean that you are a bad person or that you have a bad life. Change means choosing to do something that will make you feel better, happier and will make you a better person.
Some people choose to make changes in their lives during the New Year. Are you one of those people who write New Year’s resolutions and end up writing the same things over and over again every year? Guess what, most of the people who condition themselves to do just that, end up starting from square one every New Year’s day. So why wait for the New Year when you can start now? You can change anytime you want to, if you are really up to it.
Here are some tips that may help you with your goal:
- Identify the thing that you want to change. Identifying the habit, the attitude or the perspective that you want to change in yourself is the first step to self-improvement.
- Be realistic. There may be a lot of things that you want to change in yourself. Don’t go overboard and be realistic. The success of your mission will greatly depend on how realistic and achievable your goals are.
- Know your purpose. Do you want to change this habit for self-improvement? Or do you want to change it because another person wants you to? Knowing your purpose is just as important as choosing to change. This will determine how you would go about your change. Aside from that, a clear purpose will serve as motivation for you to continue with your goal. You might have a clear goal in mind, but a questionable purpose might make things complicated in the end. Remember, changing yourself must come from yourself and not because it is what other people want you to.
- Acceptance. After deciding on what you want to change, accept it. People who are constantly in denial that there is something that needs to be changed in their life end up back where they started. To accept that you need to change is to brace yourself for what will come next.
- Act now. There is no better time to act than now. Remember, yesterday is past, tomorrow might never come, and today is here so make the most of it.
- Enjoy the ride. The journey to self-discovery and self-improvement does not happen with just a snap of the finger. This journey might take a few days, a few months or even years. The most important thing is for you to make the most of this road trip andto enjoy every moment.
- Be open to changes. Not every plan is fool-proof. What you thought was best for you a few days ago might not be good for you now. Learn to adjust to the situation and be open to re-evaluate yourself. As long as the diversion will lead to a better you, embrace it.
There are no definitive rules that will guarantee the success of self-improvement. There is no authority that can dictate everything that you need to do. Your life is what you make it and the choices you make will reflect on what you want for yourself. Self-improvement is not an easy task, most especially if the change you want will break what you have already established as a routine.
Go on and make a step toward self-improvement. The road may be less travelled, but in the end, the journey will prove to be priceless.